The General Meeting 2021 was due to be held in Brussels in October during the FIATA World Congress but was moved online due to the global persistence of the Covid-19 pandemic and travel restrictions. In accordance with the FIATA Statutes and upon the President’s advice, notice is herein given as to the FIATA Elections which will be held virtually on 18 November 2021.
According to Article 5.3.3 (Presidency) and Article 5.4.1 (Extended Board) of the FIATA Statutes, each Association Member has the right to nominate one candidate for the Presidency (Senior Vice President, Treasurer, or Secretary General). The position of President is nominated by the Presidency from among its active freight forwarder members (Rules of Procedure 3.1). Each Association Member has the right to also nominate an individual for one of the twelve elected positions of the Extended Board. Such nominations must be submitted in writing to the FIATA Headquarters no later than four months prior to the General Meeting in order to enable the Presidency to adopt its motion to the General Meeting. Nominations must be received by the Headquarters by 1 July using the two designated nomination forms. Any FIATA Association Member can nominate a person for election to a FIATA Presidency or Extended Board position if they fulfil the Rules of Procedure of the General Meeting and the FIATA Statues. In order to do so, complete the nominee and nominator forms by 1 July 2021 at the latest. Receipt will be acknowledged automatically once the forms are submitted. Both forms must be filled in for each nomination to be complete. Please note that nominations received after this date are ineligible for election.
These elections are subject to the applicable rules of procedure pursuant to Article 5.4.1 of the FIATA Statutes which states that no member shall be nominated for more than one Extended Board position at a time. Article 5.3.3 states that no individual may serve on the Presidency more than 10 years in elected positions in their lifetime. Article 5.4.2 limits Chairman of Institutes, Regions, Standing Committees, and Vice Presidents to no more than 10-years in a single office. Article 5.2.8 of the FIATA Statutes prescribes for all functions a duration of two years and all persons selected for each position may be re-elected noting time limits in a function, with the exception of the President, who becomes de-facto Immediate Past President and as such FIATA President’s deputy.
The Chairs of the Institutes, Standing Committees, Advisory Bodies and Regional Committees, are moved by the Presidency to be confirmed by the General Meeting, having been selected among the eligible persons.
As to these rules, the following should be noted:
1) Those members of the Extended Board who stand for election or re-election must have filled the position of Association Member’s delegate for at least four (4) years (Article 2.2 of the Rules of Procedure of the General Meeting (ROP)), and it is preferable that their nomination is endorsed by one of the Association Members, so that the Presidency may confidently adopt the required motion (Article.7.11);
2) Other than the candidates nominated for any position in the Presidency or those held as Chairs of Institutes or Committee, each Association Member may nominate one additional candidate.
3) Those members of the Presidency who stand for election or re-election must have been serving in the Extended Board or the Presidency for at least two (2) consecutive years (Article 3.2 ROP), and must also have their nomination submitted or re-submitted by their Association Member by 1 July 2021 (Article 5.3.3);
4) Other than for the positions of Treasurer and Secretary General, nominees to the Presidency must be working full-time as freight forwarders (Article 3.2 ROP);
5) Pursuant to Article 2.1 of the ROP, elected members of the Extended Board (i.e., without a specific portfolio) will be elected after the General Meeting’s confirmation of the names of Institutes’ and Committees’ Chairpersons.
Please ensure your nominated candidate fulfils all the criteria contained in the ROP (Doc. 10/110) so that your candidate can be accepted for election, re-election or confirmation.
A copy of the ROP document is provided below for your information and the FIATA Statutes are published on the FIATA website.
It should also be noted as per Article 4.6.2 of the Statutes, Article 2.3 and 3.5 of the ROP, Association Members whose membership contributions are not fully paid by 1 July 2021 shall not be eligible to nominate any candidate. Payments must have been received by this date.
Should you have any questions as to this notice, please do not hesitate to contact the FIATA Headquarters.
FIATA Director General